WHAT DO YOU NEED TO TAKE TO YOUR NEW YORK STATE ROAD TEST?
HERE'S A LIST:
1. A valid plastic New York State Picture Permit
- A paper permit is allowed if accompanied by a valid New York State DMV identification card.
- Temporary visa cannot be expired
- Permit cannot be expired
- Check for any restrictions on the back of the learners permit
2. Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or Driver Education Certificate (MV-285)
- Cannot be expired
- MUST be the original (NO photocopies)
- You must have one of these certificates to schedule your road test.
- You must bring the original certificate to your road test to turn in to the license examiner.
3. You must have an appointment.
4. NO Identification from any agency other than the New York State DMV will be accepted
5. Eyeglasses (if this is a restriction on the back of your learner permit).
6. If you are under the age of 18:
- YOU MUST HAVE A LEARNERS PERMIT OVER 6 MONTHS
- CERTIFICATION OF SUPERVISED DRIVING (MV-262) signed by a parent or guardian.
7. You have to bring a U.S. registered Car. Th New York State DMV does not provide cars.
Your car must be in good working order and have a valid:
- Inspection Sticker
- License Plates
Your Registration, Insurance, Inspection Sticker, and License Plates CANNOT be a
temporary document or expired.
8. You must be driven to the road test site by a U.S. Licensed Driver that is 21 years of age or over.
- A foreign licensed driver cannot take you to the test.
9. DO NOT BRING ANY EXPIRED DOCUMENTS AND DON'T FORGET TO PRACTICE!